College Rape Survivor Told Not to Report Her Rapist, Drops Out While Alleged Rapist Graduates With Honors
Keep in mind that this took place in one of America’s most prominent liberal institutions, which has a history of responding poorly to incidents of sexual assault. This sort of thing often transcends politics and ideology.
Isn’t it illegal to say someone is a rapist before they’ve been convicted of the crime? Isn’t it morally questionable to treat someone as if they have committed a terrible crime on one persons accusation, with no evidence to support that accusation?
Isn’t that how we ended up burning witches?
Indeed, and that’s likely why the accused person’s name is withheld in the article (and by the victim writing about it). The problem is that there wasn’t even an attempt to investigate her claims in the first place.
Investigate how… it was significantly after the fact, there were no witnesses, and there was no physical evidence that might incriminate the accused. And that’s according to the alleged victim.
What do you want the authorities to do? Ask him “Did you do it” and hope he’s so much of a moron he doesn’t think “Maybe I’ll call a lawyer..”… or “Maybe I shouldn’t tell the police I had my way with this woman?”.
I mean seriously, wtf do they expect to happen here? What kind of investigation *could* occur?
It depends on the case. Plenty of civil or criminal investigations are opened up with little or no evidence. Sometimes the accused - or the accuser, for that matter - has a record that could clarify things. Investigators can figure out the circumstantial evidence, such as where the accused was at the time of the event, etc.
But it’s not so much about investigating the issue, which I was mistaken to focus on in my response, but how the college tends to handle the problem in general. Not only was the victim not taken seriously despite demonstrating enough to distress to merit psychiatric evaluation, but Amherst punishes people guilty of sexual assault far less severely than those caught stealing. Sometimes they don’t even get suspended.
- insidethemindofarapevictim reblogged this from time2livelife
- compelledinfidel likes this
- bunnybravo reblogged this from ichigo-grrrl
- lunarui reblogged this from ichigo-grrrl
- dolcelune likes this
- joanofamber reblogged this from smellslikegirlriot and added:
- newly-dead reblogged this from smellslikegirlriot
- jessicakaitlyn2k12 reblogged this from smellslikegirlriot and added:
- misunderstoodrealist reblogged this from smellslikegirlriot
- ichigo-grrrl reblogged this from smellslikegirlriot
- smellslikegirlriot reblogged this from eupraxsophy
- time2livelife reblogged this from eupraxsophy and added:
- ghost-of-tinypapercuts said: I’m in school at Amherst’s public neighbor, UMass. We have the same problems. These issues are endemic— I’m hoping that Amherst College’s public shaming will lead to a movement across universities all over the US.
- cuervoqueen likes this
- gatsbys-party reblogged this from irishsaints
- irishsaints reblogged this from eupraxsophy and added:
- kierkatgaardsmeow likes this
- sophiaishiding likes this
- lashlights likes this
- starry-skies-hazy-eyes reblogged this from eupraxsophy
- eupraxsophy posted this